Hi, I’m Vanessa Monaghan, a writer who shares what I’ve learned about happiness from over 25 years of travel. I write about where to go, what to see, pack and do, and how to overcome common travel problems.
I also share stories about the places I’ve been, things I’ve seen and my favourite travel experiences.
Here’s a few quick notes about me
- I’m an Aussie mum who lives in the nation’s capital, Canberra.
- I have a B.A in Communication, over 25 years experience in the P.R and marketing industry, and for the past seven years have worked as a social media manager.
- I’ve travelled extensively through the U.S, Canada, the U.K and Europe since 1991.
- My interests include travel, books, cooking and gardening.
- My trivia expertise is in Harry Potter and the Royal Family.
- I have been blogging on and off since 1999 in one form or another.
I’ve Been Travelling Since 1991
When I was a kid, my family couldn’t afford many holidays or vacations. Every few years we’d manage a week or two at the beach, but for the most part, our only travel experience was the 12 hour drive from Canberra to Balaklava, South Australia where my grandparents lived. We made this tortuous drive every Christmas with my brothers and I, plus our dogs, crammed in the back seat. The years we had a car with air conditioning were slightly less traumatising.
I was 20 years old when I read Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson and became obsessed with travel. Since then I’ve travelled extensively through the U.S.A, Canada, the U.K and Europe.
I enjoy writing about my travels as much as being on the road.
Here’s a few travel facts about me:
- I prefer travelling in the off season and in the cooler months of the year.
- I like the beach, but I’m not a fan of sun or sand.
- My favourite city is Rome.
- At Christmas time I love visiting Disneyland.
- I collect Christmas ornaments wherever I go.
- I love staying in neighbourhoods and shopping like a local.
- I take all my photos and videos on an iPhone.
- I prefer the aisle to the window seat on the plane.
- I love visiting libraries and bookstores.
- I’m obsessed with farmer’s markets.
- Somewhere I’d like to travel is Scandinavia.
- I like playing tourist in my hometown and around the world.
Behind The Blog
Back in 2011 I received a short email from a friend that changed my life and career path.
All it said was “You should do this.” and she’d posted a link to a newspaper article.
Intrigued, I clicked on the link and read the article. It was all about the finalists of the best Australian blogs competition.
I visited some of the finalists blogs and several hours later I was still reading my way through them.
After that, I became obsessed with blogs. I wanted to learn everything I could about them so I could start my own.
Within a year, I’d started blogging and changed my professional specialty from public relations to social media marketing.
Since 2012 I’ve worked in social media marketing.
A few weeks ago I was waiting in the coffee shop at work when a colleague came over to say hello.
She apologised for interrupting me as I’d been on my phone.
I told her it was fine. That I’d just been catching up on my Instagram feed.
She smiled and said “It’s lucky you like that stuff or your job would be really difficult.”
I couldn’t help but laugh – and agree.
I feel very lucky to have a job I enjoy and to be able to pursue my love of blogging in my own time.
Work with me
With my background in public relations and marketing, I love partnering with talented makers and brands, and offer a range of ways you can feature on my online channels. Find out more about advertising and featuring on the blog or social media here or by emailing email@example.com
Any partnerships you might find on the blog and opinions/thoughts expressed therein are my own.
I’d love it if you’d join my email list where I share more travel tips and the occasional special offer.
To join my email list, please click here.
Thanks so much for taking the time to find out a little more about me and what I write about.